Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Great Divide?

Recently on twitter I was part of a chat about anti vax and pro vax. Now I'm not saying yet whether I believe or not but hear me out. I feel the greater good is standing together for our children no matter what the cause. But I was told that it was like trying to get Republications and Democrats to agree about abortion. I felt that was a lil extreme and this is why.

I have a best friend and she's more than a best friend, she's my heart and my wifey and just about everything to me.  I don't know if she knows how much she really means to me but there it is for the world to see. We met on Myspace a long ass time ago and bonded in that internet sort of friendly way. Then  I found out that Racer had autism and I sort of dropped off the face of the internet, I didn't know where to turn or who to talk to other then the hubs. Then for whatever reason I happened to be looking thru Myspace again and I came across her blog and it made me cry. Here she was dealing with the same thing I was! She had just found out that her daughter had autism as well. Well I txt her and we reconnected again. We have bonded, playdated, and shared many tears of joy, fear, and happiness. When her daughter finally started talking and even though Racer wasn't anywhere near that, I was over joyed for her success, because it was ours to share. And the thing that has brought us so close together was the fact that our kids have autism. We have been fast friends for more then 5yrs and nothing has ever changed that and nothing ever will.

In the autism community it is very easy to bond with other parents who share the same belief system that you do and shun the rest of the community.

A few years ago I posted something about how vaccines didn't cause autism and there was my friend posting her thoughts on it. And we had disagreed, I thought long and hard on this and to me it didn't matter. She was still my best friend and I still loved her.

So I can't understand for the life of me why parents can't get along regardless of cause, because the one thing that binds us is autism. It always will, no matter the cause, or the cure, or the prevention. We are autism!

0 comments:

Post a Comment