Thursday, January 27, 2011

FU school District and oh thanks for services!

After finally getting the required services for Racer at his IEP yesterday I'm on cloud nine!!!! And to think it only too a fucking year for them to do it   WAY TO GO SCHOOL DISTRICT!!! There is one thing I will never ever understand about school districts.....ONE they either go wayyyy out of their way to support their students or TWO they don't give a flying shit about their students. I think in some districts they are just numbers, money making seat fillers. And that in my book is fucked up, NEVER EVER should a child be a money making seat filler. But it happens time and time again. So many of my other moms out there are still struggling to get services for their child or children. And I have to wonder what the fuck? Why is this a problem? Why do we have IDEA and FAPE? if they don't actually want to use it? Why are schools risking lawsuits that would cost them far more then actually giving the child the services they really need? Answer ONE to that is parents! Not enough of us know the ins and outs of all the laws that are always changing. Answer TWO is once again DING DING DING you guessed it, the school districts! You know that handy lil packet of paper they give you that address your rights and rules? Ever notice that they hand it to you RIGHT BEFORE the IEP meeting? Why don't they hand it to us when we request testing? How come they don't hand that out to parents who register their kids for school? I suppose we could stop the entire IEP process and sit and read it, but I don't think that is entirely the point here.

And even though I got services for Racer I'm fucking pissed that it took this damn long to get them! And will next year be another battle? The year after that? If I feel he isn't meeting his goals and they do? I have one thing to say and I'm going to say it loud and proud and I'm going to keep saying it till everyone gets it. IF YOU ARE WORKING WITH MY SON....AND HIS BEST INTERESTS ARE WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO SERVE THEN LISTEN TO ME! Don't ignore me school district, school staff and teacher. I know my child better then you ever will!

Oh and PS the next time some one wants to accuse my parenting skills, last time I checked I was only having problems with ONE child not seven of them.

8 comments:

Jen said...

Oh honey, I have BEEN there. I have to warn you, though, someone in our district read my blog last year and saw stuff I said and it caused HUGE problems at our IEP meetings. (although, I am pretty sure I had a frenemy, whose mom worked at the schoo, rat me out), but it was a lesson learned. No more bitching about the school online...ha. It does suck. It is a constant battle. The people on the team don't live our lives and don't know how it is to be a parent and what we have to deal with. Our kids are just numbers to them and they are just trying to push them through the day, and could give a shit about anything else. Here Katie is in 1st grade and we are still fighting to get her appropriate services!!! ARGH!!!!

RacersMommy said...

You know I thought about that but I'm tired of being scared of them ya know!. Seriously their here for our kids but we dnt get the support we need for them frm them.

But I hear ya, lol I have a whole year till my nxt IEP haha

Dani G said...

We have ALL been there. They fucking suck. We shouldn't be fighting the way we do. They shouldn't try so hard to deny our kids what WE know they need.

RacersMommy said...

Dani...before Racer turned 4 it was all bubbles and rainbows in terms of services. He got what he needed and I was happy. Then when it was time for kinder is where it got ugly. My whole SD and actually school where Racer goes has me pissy. When I enrolled him for kinder and gave them his IEP the office staff looked at me, looked at the paperwork and then asked me..."who do I give this too?" I just looked at them dumbfounded, and my gut told me to turn and run. I prolly shud have because here we are a year later barely getting services and the school staff continue to piss me off to no end.

Melissa said...

I have to say I hear this all way too often. In my case I got lucky because I just happen to get the most amazing teachers for my daughter or maybe its just the school. She was having a lot of difficulty but did not qualify any assistance. The teachers went above and beyond and got her in a program anyway. I wish you the best of luck! Hang in there.

RacersMommy said...

That's awesome Melissa! Yea my sad story is one of many that I know this happens too.

And thanks lol I'm gonna need all the luck I can get

Jen said...

Yeah, it was amazing to me, too, how we went from the DISTRICT preschool to the elementary school and like no information was shared. Last year in K no one, except her classroom teacher, even knew she had an IEP! SO, you can imagine the notes I got home from her specials teachers and how pissed I was when I found out not everyone had a copy. Seriously?! And her preschool teachers had shared NOTHING with the K teacher about how Katie is...her behaviors, etc. It was a nightmare. School is a huge nightmare. The one thing that made me feel better after "getting in trouble" for blogging, was I had someone, who used to be the head of sped at a different school, say that if a parent is THAT upset you have to realize you are doing something wrong and need to fix it and that you NEVER bring it up to the parent, period. So, really, it's just a lack of professionalism at our school, too. And, ah, I wish there was a time when I could actually go a whole year between meetings...lol. We end up meeting every couple or three months!

RacersMommy said...

I'm hoping its a year before I got back but I'm really going to have to keep in touch to make sure he is going to meet his goals. I really have a sinking feeling that next year for him is going to be worse. Kinder seems so easy for him, he went in already knowing most kinder skills. They said themselves that at his report card they were amazed with how much school he's missed and how he's ahead of the curve already. But that's mostly due to the fact that he had been in SpEd for so long already.

Post a Comment